Friday, October 29, 2010

Where I end and You begin


So... we're studying buddhism in my art history class, which as I recall was the one religion that really appealed to me. It kinda found its way to the back of my head after reading Herman Hesse's "Siddhartha" my freshman year, and didn't really think about it much until now. Buddhist thought contends that life is full of "dukha"; suffering. This suffering comes about in any form of attachment, whether it be(to use modern-day examples applicable to the average person's life) work, relationships, or any material possessions. In order for an individual to reach "nirvana", a state of ultimate enlightenment for which, essentially, the religion is based upon, they must rid themselves of the influence of "dukha" in their life. This involves a long process, in which the most devout followers of Buddhism(Middle eastern) will make their way through four hierarchal stages, starting as an apprentice and coming out as the enlightened buddha(just like the original Siddhartha Gautama did during the post-Vedic period)Note that I said "influence of" dukha, in which I mean one is not to disregard the sources of suffering completely(if you disregard your job, you end up on the streets!) but rather so, take it in indifferently. Now, as I apply it to my own life, I realized I used to become so worked up about the smallest occurrences...which are just minor things that I now take in stride, indifferently. I think that this spiritual outlook may be just what I need. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment