Saturday, December 25, 2010

The magic of 'old' Disney



As I take an extended hiatus from the constant drone of collegiate life, I find myself exploring things that I miss, desire, or am simply curious about. I found the clip of "When you Wish upon a Star", sung by Jiminy Cricket(Cliff Edwards, 1940), and just felt like sharing it. It totally warmed my heart. Such nostalgic, powerful emotion. The new Disney simply doesn't compare....I wish they would bring back the classic Disney, with its heartfelt richness, yet exploitative and dark themes. Kids in generations to come have everything sugar-coated for them...I'm sure Walt Disney would be horrified if he saw what the current 'Disney Channel' looks like(High School Musical, Hannah Montana, etc.)
I was rewatching The Beauty and the Beast and was shocked to see that in the one scene during that final, climactic battle on the castle ramparts, the villian(hunky baron-looking guy) actually stabs the beast on his side, drawing blood. We certainly don't see that in Disney movies nowadays! Another example, in Pinnocio, whenever he and all the children are taken to Pleasure Island, he is peer pressured into smoking cigars...! and the merry children he was with are all transformed into donkeys, consequently being whipped and kicked around by adults! Shiiiit. Think of the kind of parental censorship that would spew out nowadays. These are just minor examples, too...I remember being legitimately scared while watching those movies....yet so enticed by them. I know it sounds cliched, but the classic Disney will forever live on in my heart, and it's not just one of those things where the movies are relative to the viewer's time period, when he/she grew up watching them, thus having the nostalgic feelings associated with those films and dismissing the new ones...they are inarguably, just BETTER! better than the crap that we see now.

This doesn't just apply to Disney..."Hocus Pocus", "Return to Oz", and "Witches"...all of those childhood favorites from the 80's still stand as conventional children's films...yet are comparatively darker and much more sinister than anything Disney has produced nowadays. Crazy business.

2 comments:

  1. The youtube video is overlapping some of the text, so I can't read all you wrote. Also, I love how you compare a film made in 1991 to those being made "nowadays." Way to make me feel old!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it really? uh oh. I'll see if I can fix that.
    Nonsense! I was hoping that would only supplement the idea that you're never too old for Disney. Yes, even the original hipster/indie kids...hehe.

    ReplyDelete